Mind The Net

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Energy Suckers part 1: Geena Davis

I don't quite know how to start this post. Several years ago--maybe 10 even--I dated a woman from the mall where I worked. I worked at Coles book store and she worked next door. She was about 6' feet tall, blonde, brown eyed and I thought extremely pretty. She reminded me of Geena Davis. Well, I hung out with her a couple of times, movies, walks in the park, that sort of thing. And there were real signs that this would go nowhere. The first one that comes to mind was something that happened at the movies. I can't remember the film, I just remember her reaction to a gay kiss or something of the sort. It was repulsion and a horrified look came over her face. I said, 'what? What's wrong with that? Lotsa people are gay or bisexual. I know a lot of people that are. I'm an actor after all and most of them are.'. I was exaggerating a little, but I wanted to see if what I was sensing was true or not. She was appalled at learning this. And visibly uncomfortable when I told her I was bisexual (I wasn't I was just pushing it a little). The dialogue went like this:
She: 'you better not be.'
Me: 'why not?'
She: 'Because I will walk out of here.'
Me: 'I don't understand, just because of that?'
She: 'Are you? . . . Are you?'
Me: 'Well, no. But why would that be a problem?'
She: 'Just stop it.'

I was dumbfounded. A week or so later, we go to another movie. I hadn't forgotten the incident, I had just buried under how pretty she was. Men, you can understand this. And women too I guess. We all become blinded at times by attraction (stupid animals).

Well, I'm standing in line with her at the movies and a friend of mine calls out to me. I need to point out here that my friend's family is from Africa. His skin is much darker than most people's, he and his brother are quite accustomed to being pulled over by police, ignored in restaurants etc, and for no reason other than their skin colour. I see him from across the parking lot (line up was outside) and he comes running over.

Hey buddy how are you etc . . .
'Well,' I say, 'this is my friend (insert name), he's an actor.'

And Geena Davis, takes an enormous step backwards from him.

It's more than noticeable, not just because she's tall and a normal step for her would have been two of mine, but for the let's call it, UNattempt at disguising her disgust at this person.

I spoke to that friend a day or so later and he asked what was up with the girl.
He: 'Were my antennae sticking out?'
Me: 'well, I'll tell you and you really have to believe me. It's not a black thing.' and of course he says,
'really'.
And I say,
'get this partner. . . I told her that all actors were gay about a week ago. And I introduced you as an actor, remember?
So after you left, she turned and whispered to me, 'Is he gay?'. '

I almost lost it (laughter wise, not tear wise-although they both come from the same place. . . ). There's more to this story: let's just say I dumped her later that week. I had only seen her a handful of times. But she made me wish I had done it at her place instead of on my driveway. . . because she sat on the hood of her car and bawled and wailed and grabbed at me and wanted 'one last kiss, to remember what it was like.'. In my head, not to be insensitive, I was thinking. . . 'I don't even know you. We've been out five times together at most!! You're flippin' crazy, crazy head.' And she was.

Join me tomorrow when I explain how this happened to me again, ten years later with a different woman. But who's birthday was only a week apart from Geena Davis's. I am not a firm believer in astrology, no. I'm a little more scientifically minded, but I do know something about it. They were both, clingy, needy Leo's that expected something in return for their stupid feelings. ;-) ( see the winky face indicates that I am aware of how insensitive it is to call someone's feelings stupid. Even a stupid persons. It's just funnier.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home