Mind The Net

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Creation? Evolution? Crazy bag lady in disguise?

Just before the movie (reviewed below) while I was waiting for friend Gina at Starbucks next to the Paramount, I got into a heated discussion with this old lady about Creation vs Evolution. She was telling me that Evolution had been debunked, that all the top scientists had been saying there was no proof for it!!! I was like, um . . . what are you reading?! The top scientists from where, your crazy brain?! And She said it was proven false and I said, 'you mean like the shroud of turin?' and she freaked out again saying IT was real and did I mean that the crucifixion was not real, and I'm like 'no, I didn't say nothing about the cross, I'm talking about the damned shroud.'

She claimed to teach 'bible proofs' at U of T, at two different campuses, but I wonder if she even does. She called me 'closed-minded' and 'just like [her] students' and kept saying things like, 'people like you.' and I wasn't going to let her get away with it, so I asked -calmly I might add - 'in what part of this discussion have I been closed minded? Excuse me but, I don't know by what criteria you're judging me but I clearly said, I would read the book you're talking about and consider that there might be another version of what really happened in the universe. How is that closed minded?'
She was quiet. And then went on to judge me in some other way, I can't remember which now. . . but I also said at some point: 'I never said I didn't believe in God, but why can't you just for a second consider the possibility that God created evolution? I mean, you're not giving him enough credit are you?' Wooo hooo! Spark of argument! She said it's written and the bible this and Jesus that and I'm like, I can't believe you teach people and that people like you are still around!!! I didn't say that of course.

All right, I've lost the lucidity in my storytelling, but I'll conclude with the end, I told her I had to leave to see a movie - a comedy I wouldn't tell her which - and she said she wanted to see me in Heaven. Not like she wanted me to die, but she wanted me to be such a good boy that I would end up there. I said, 'okay, but you'll have to look pretty hard AND it's going to be awhile.' Then, since we had talked about me making movies, she had me pegged as a young filmmaker, a hopeless one I might add since I'm 'so young how could [I] possibly write stories with any kind of experiential foundation (?)', she added, 'don't make dirty movies.' I explained that those sorts of films didn't inspire me, told her to take care and good bye. . . then I got outside and shook off the whole experience, she had made me feel dirty.

Having said that, let's open the floor here. . . what do you think; Creation? or Evolution? Or do you like the possibility of my bridging theory, creative force of universe (God whatever) designed evolution. . . hmmm. . . maybe I don't want to use 'designed'...but you know. Tell me what you think. I'm going to find articles on the Shroud of Turin, I'm not crazy right? They did carbon date those to 13th Century France? I'm sure it was something like that. Anyway, I'm out of here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home